On the east side of town, on the grounds of the Soldiers & Sailors Home, is the Wayne Blockhouse, a reconstruction of a blockhouse on the site of the French Fort Presque Isle, named for General "Mad" Anthony Wayne. The Land Lighthouse (at the foot of Lighthouse Street, off East 6th Street, overlooking Lake Erie from a cliff top) was the first lighthouse on the great lakes, built in 1813 and reconstructed in 1867.