The information on this page was furnished by Paul Livingston. Thank you very much for your help and information.
Hobart (Tasmania) 1875 - Present.
William Golding arrived in Sydney from Portsmouth, England in 1853 as
one of the younger members of a large migrant family. He was then seven
years old. The family moved to Hobart in 1858, and shortly afterwards
William Golding was apprenticed to David Barclay to learn watchmaking.
Golding worked with Barclay for some fifteen years prior to founding his
own business at 52 Murray Street in 1875. a hand-made silver medal,
presented by William Golding to the Tasmanian Poultry Society in 1876, is
shown in plate 120. No doubt this prize medal was intended to promote his
new jewellery establishment.
Following on Barclay's retirement in 1878, Golding purchased Barclay's
long established business. He then advertised in 'The Mercury' of 18 March
1878: "... (W.G.) desires respectfully to inform the customers of Mr Barclay
that in addition to his own long experience as a practical watchmaker he has
engaged several first class workmen and is prepared to execute any orders in
watchmaking and repairs, as well as in the manufacture of jewellery of every
William Golding (late Barclay), watchmaker and jeweller, was listed at
96 Liverpool Street, with branches at Murray Street, Hobart, and Brisbane
Street, Launceston. At the Tasmanian Exhibition, held in Launceston, 1891,
Golding's display included: "... every description of gold and silver
jewellery, own manufacture, precious stones, etc.".
Early in the 1890s William Golding moved to the firm's present site at
the corner of Liverpool and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart. The firm became
Golding and Son in 1903, and with the retirement of the founder in 1912, the
business was continued by his sons, Arthur and William. The present
proprietor is Arthur Bruce Golding, great grandson of William Henry Golding.
Kevin Fahy (1983) has noted that with Golding's acquisition of Barclay's
establishment founded in 1830, and his prior association with Barclay,
Golding and Son can claim to be the oldest jewellery and watchmaking firm in
By the turn of the century, Tasmania had become a premier tourist
destination for mainland Australians. Mementos of Tasmania were as popular
then as now and Goldings produced much shell jewellery. small sea-shells
were mounted in gold and silver as brooches. shell hat-pins and charms were
also produced and of course, shell teaspoons. (Fahy, 1983; information
supplied by A. Bruce Golding.)
"Map of Tasmania" pieces were produced as fobs, charms, pins and
brooches. These items, usually in 9ct gold, are likely to bear the marks of
William Golding, Taylor and Sharp, F.A. Flint of Hobart or Stewarts of
Launceston. they were also made by Melbourne manufactures. "
(Source: Australian Jewellers Gold & Silversmiths Makers & Marks by Kenneth
Cavill, Graham Cocks and Jack Grace, 1992, page 104.)
Click the "x" in the right hand corner to get rid of this box or