SAN FRANCISCO CLIFF HOUSE SPOONS
The famous Cliff House Restaurant overlooking the Golden Gate has been
a tourist attraction and local gathering spot since 1858.
However, a series of fires have destroyed the building(s) and the
current Cliff House is the fifth incarnation
of this classic restaurant.
The seven story Vctorian chateau pictured on many souvenir spoons was
built in 1896 by Adolph Sutro (a wealthy mining magnate) and was
nicknamed the "Gingerbread Palace". Below the Cliff House was the
famous 'seal rocks' where people could watch the
seals sunning themselves.
The 1896 cliff house survived the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco but
succombed to a fire in 1907.
The 'new' cliff house was rebuilt in a neo-classical style and was
completed in a few years.
sterling spoons from the San Francisco Cliff House Restaurant
Seven story victorian style Cliff House
New classical style CliffHouse with the seal rocks
Labeled as "new" Cliff House
A flattened penny featuring the old Cliff House
Return to California exhibits index
Return to spoon planet exhibits index